Get to know the head of each St Giles' hotel in our #StGilesGM series! Take a peek into a typical day as they set the tone for your St Giles Experience and get their tips on the best way to discover each #StGilesCity. This week, we catch up with Mr Tony Goh, General Manager of The Wembley - A St Giles Hotel, in Penang, Malaysia.
Take Us Through a Typical Day at Work for You
I usually start my day by checking on the food quality and overall services. Then I monitor the Front Office operation, followed by some light (or heavy, depending on the day) administrative work. All this before 10am, which is when I hold our morning briefing to review the plan for the day with our team, including any special services and requests we need to address. Throughout the rest of the day I hold meetings with Department Heads to address any pending operational issues and once those are done, I patrol the front and back offices to ensure all is in order. I also make time in my day to have one on one interactions with guests and staff, as it allows me to connect with our guests and our team. I end my day by analyzing industry trends and finalize our plans for the following day.
Tell us One Thing about The Wembley, Penang Most Guests May Not Know
We recently launched a health centre – HH Health Therapy on Level 11 and a karaoke outlet – Cloud 9 Viva Karaoke on Level 1. These new additions inspire mindfulness - the health centre focuses on your physical health, while the Karaoke outlet improves your emotional health with the inner joy that singing brings. We will be opening a shopping arcade soon, for our guests to enjoy the convenience of shopping at our hotel.
When at Work, What Makes you Smile
1. Guest satisfaction – I am happy if all our guests are satisfied in their stay with us.
2. Job challenges – When a challenge arise, it stretches our capabilities and we grow to meet it, thus further improving our standards of service for our guests.
And What Quickly Turns that Smile into a Frown – An unhappy guest
The One Guest You Will never Forget – Mr John Chin, a long staying guest from the U.K. who has returned to our hotel multiple times with his wife for their leisure stay. The staff enjoys a close relationship with him.
When Not at Work, We Can Find You - 24/7 on my mobile or in my hotel room
Your Dream Vacation – Europe
Your Recommend Top 3 Things to Do in Penang
1) Get to know George Town - Take a stroll around George Town and visit the UNESCO heritage sites like Beach Street, Chulia Street, Campbell Street and more. Have fun hunting for Street Murals and Iron Caricatures while you’re there! For a short cultural tour, visit the Street of Harmony, located along Jalan Masjid Kapitan Keling where the places of worship of the four major religions in Penang are harmoniously located together. The heritage site includes the Kuan Yin Temple (Goddess of Mercy Temple), St. George’s Church, Masjid Kapitan Keling and the Sri Mahamariamman Temple.
2) Penang Hill / Bukit Bendera - One of the must-visit attractions in Penang. Take a quick ride up to Penang Hill via a funicular train and soak up the fresh air, greeneries, and the panoramic view of the island, which is one of the most stunning scenery in Malaysia.
3) Gastronomy Trail in Penang - Saving the best for last is without a doubt, Penang’s Street Food! Named as Asia’s best street food destination, the diverse culture and ethnicity influence this gastronomic experience that cannot be missed. From Penang Assam Laksa, Mee Goreng, Roti Canai to Teochew Cendol, we have it all! Sample these delicacies at some of the food courts in town such as New Lane Food stall, Gurney Drive Hawker Center, New World Park Food Court and more.
The Wembley - A St Giles Hotel, Penang is centrally located in George Town with easy access to the city's exciting heritage site, culinary stops, business districts, coastal freeway to industrial parks and all that Penang has to offer. For more information, please visit: www.stgiles.com.